Flooding Information for Washington, DC & Surrounding Maryland Areas
There’s some surprising news from the experts at the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Everyone lives in a flood zone. Yes, you read that right.
Of course, if your home is at the top of a mountain, you are probably at low risk from flooding. But most homes are at lower elevations, bringing higher risks.
How common are floods? In the past five years, according to the NFIP, all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods.
And bad news for homeowners is their homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. You need special flood insurance for that.
To protect yourself, you need some flood facts so you realize the danger and can purchase the proper flood insurance program for your home and risk level.
For emergency flooding restoration, don’t hesitate to contact the experts at RestoreUnow today – call us at 301-452-7531 or contact us online.
Flood Facts Washington, DC & Surrounding Areas Need to Know From the NFIP
- Just a few inches of water in your home can cost many thousands of dollars to repair. This comes out of your pocket if your insurance doesn’t cover it.
- Flash floods can bring walls of water 10-15 feet high. Imagine that hitting your home!
- A vehicle can easily be carried away by just two feet of rushing water. You don’t want to think about what can happen if you are in the car.
- New land development can increase flood risk.
- Floods can be caused by different sources, such as hurricanes, winter storms, snow melt, and other events.
- In a high-risk area, your home is more likely to be damaged by flood than by fire.
- Since 1978, the NFIP has paid nearly $50 billion for flood insurance claims and related costs (as of 2/17/15).
There are many more flood facts, but these can get you researching what you need to protect what’s important to you: your home and your family.
And remember, if any type of flooding happens in your Maryland home, keep your water damage professionals on speed dial! We’ll be right over to save the day! Call RestoreUnow 24/7 at 301-452-7531 or contact us online.